Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Well, against all reason, or perhaps with only a very little of it, I have decided to start a blog. [Insert facetious gasp from anyone reading this at the obviousness of my opening statement--my apologies.] What a single gal like me has to blog about, I'm not yet quite sure, but I do love to write. Is that the same thing?

I have lamented recently on the rusting of my writing skills (if, indeed, I ever had them) and the decided lack of venues in which to exercise those skills now that I'm finished with school. I never thought I would regret the end of staying up until four in the morning developing a thesis and weaving together a persuasive argument right before a deadline, but in spite of the suffering caused by my penchant for procrastination (that's when I did my best work) I was always secretly pleased with the finished product. Don't get me wrong: graduation is still too fresh an event for me to want to go back, but while I love the fact that I have no idea when midterm is approaching or what week Spring Break falls on this year, I have felt like something has been missing. Then it dawned on me: I wasn't writing anymore...in any setting at all.

Cue search for new writing venue: I tried my journal. Turns out I hate journal writing. Yet I strangely feel guilt over not keeping one, considering the huge gaps of my life that will and already have gone missing as I can barely remember what I did yesterday, let alone two years ago. To appease my conscience, not to mention my future curiosity at what it is I've done with my life, I will keep a journal of sorts here with a running commentary of my thoughts instead. I always said I'd never be a blogger (I'd rather call this a journal instead), but a funny thing happened in my search for a new place to write and I found that elusive forum I was looking for in the form of a blog.

3 comments:

  1. I commented and the first line was retarded so I removed it...anyway, I never knew how well you wrote. I'm excited to read more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindee! Hooray for you being a blogger! I'm connecting your blog to mine as we speak. My address is bards-spot.blogspot.com. And this is Anna. Hi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very excited to read your musings. I love the way you write. Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete