Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Renegades Return

I don't know how many of you have been following the state of unrest in Iran right now over the reelection of Ahmadinejad, but it brings back some very specific memories for me.  In an earlier post I talked about a book called Iran Awakening and it's inspiration, Shirin Ebadi.  If you missed that post, you can find it here.  The reason that I am reminded so much of this book as I read of the continuing protests and riots is that they are so reminiscent of the ones that occurred in the 1979 revolution Ebadi speaks of in detail in her autobiography.  I knew nothing about Iran before reading this book and have since become very interested in the country's history.

Thirty years ago, Iran was a much more modern country.  Students in college in the 60's and early 70's dressed in mini-skirts, just like in the U.S., women were welcomed in college classrooms and Ebadi, herself, was once a very prominent judge in the judicial system.  However, when the U.S.-backed government was toppled by the revolution at the close of the 70's, many unintended consequences rocked the country.  Women were suddenly required again to wear the burqa, and Ebadi and her female colleagues were demoted to secretarial positions within the judicial system.  

Now, I'm not a feminist, but I used these examples to show just how far regressive the new government was as far as modern progression goes.  For more about Ebadi and her book, you can read the Wikipedia article on her.  In any case, I think Iran Awakening is a fabulously enlightening read that everyone should pick up, especially because the woman won the Nobel Prize for her lifelong work and dedication to pursuing justice.

I digress.  In my enthusiasm for the book, I forget what I began writing for.  I write because today marks the fifth day of protest in Iran over the election results that many in the country believe were rigged.  There are many articles on the subject, but one in particular caught my attention: 

This is big--especially if the riots at the university and in the cities are as much like those of the 1979 revolution as many experts have expressed.   There are at least fifteen people who have died in the protests since last week's election.

I don't know much about the opposing candidate, Mousavi, but I liked that he was straightforward enough to say to Ahmadinejad in a public debate on June 3rd, "I don't think you're a dictator but your attitude will lead to dictatorship."

By the 15th Mousavi claimed he was under house arrest.  I tend to think that something was going on under the tables here, especially since days after the protests began the Iranian government began to forbid foreign journalists to leave their offices to report on the events. Anytime there is a banning on reporting, you know the country is afraid of something.  And in this case it is almost surely afraid of the world opinion. 
 
But more than anything I wonder what will happen--if the rioting will quiet or if the protests will turn into something more like a revolution.  Seems far-fetched to turn the protests into that at this point, but I would so love to see the Iranian people take back some of the freedoms they once had.  Then again I have been brought up on American ideals and principles.  

Perhaps I'm just like Thomas Jefferson who had so much faith in the perseverance of democracy and the rights of man that during the first few months of the French Revolution he continually assumed each disturbance was the last and that the French monarch and aristocracy were taking heed.  I tend to believe, perhaps naively most of the time, that the people in Iran want out of this rigid form of government in their country, but it appears that many Iranians also support and wish Ahmadinejad well.  It is probably a waste of time to speculate, but I still wonder.  

Well, what do you think?  Talk to me.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure there are a lot of people who believe Mousavi and there are a lot who side with Ahmadinejad. But I guess that's where the election comes in and decides who Iran's new leader should be. I personally think they should have an open-minded leader and just let the people do what they want. If they want to wear mini-skirts, fine. If they watn to wear a burqa, great. I don't think there should be laws forcing a majority to do something they don't believe in. But I am not familiar with Iran or its culture so I wouldn't know. This is also a reflection of my American education. It makes me sad that there are people out there who don't live the way we do. We are very lucky compared to others and still there are many who take it for granted, i.e. the uneducated lower-class. I'm not trying to be prejudiced but from my political science studies, it is the uneducated. Obviously not all of the uneducated is lower-class but a big chunk of them are. Anyway I am rambling now. I honestly don't like current events. I prefer political theory but I love when people give me the wikipedia version of the news like this! hahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely: the election should be the deciding factor as to who leads Iran. Period. Ideally there would be a smooth transition from one term to the next, but the whole reason for the public unrest is that the people clearly aren't convinced that they ARE deciding who the leader should be.

    I think it's highly problematic when, a) such a vast majority of people don't have faith in the legitimacy of their election, and b) that they are not allowed by the government to publically demonstrate. The protests continue, but they now continue in direct defiance of government leaders who have banned public demonstrations, threatened serious crackdowns, and blocked all foreign journalists from covering the events, not to mention blocking text message transmission and many internet websites. Interesting: I read today that BBC is employing two new satellites to attempt to alleviate a lot of the sensorship.

    But I'm sure it will all work itself out. I won't get into what I think about the candidates themselves, because this blog isn't meant to be about my political views, but I can't help venting my outrage at the way people are being sensored and controlled in other parts of the world. Again, likely my very American upbringing coming out here.

    Don't you love Wikipedia? It's such a great base from which to begin your research on any subject, I'm convinced! I'm addicted, though. I love it.

    Anyway, thanks for commenting! I always love to hear what other people think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leave it to the girl with a poli sci degree to not get political, but I just want you to know that I love you for writing such a post. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete