Sunday, March 29, 2009

My Latest Addiction

While on vacation with my good friend, Adrienne, I happened to find a bargain of a buy in the clearance section of Borders. I'm now convinced that it was fate that this book and I should meet. I have always loved movies, but recently I have grown tired of the lack of quality movies actually coming out in the theaters. So I've gone retro-active! 








The book is organized by genre ranging from Comedy to Mysterey & Thriller, Science Fiction & Fantasy and everywhere in between. For each genre there are about fifty films which also range from early silent films to more recent films such as Meet the Parents. I don't know that that particular movie would make it to my own personal must-see movies list, but it is a great place to start. Overall? If I were actually giving this book a review, I would definitely give it high marks. 




This also happens to be where I discovered the film Raise the Red Lantern, which I wrote about below. There is nothing quite like discovering something new and that film was everything I was looking for by way of new and different. Granted, it was sad, but it opened my eyes to a way of life so far removed from the experiences I have. It wasn't until taking a couple film classes in college that I actually started to appreciate films that were artistic or that were less about entertaining than they were about painting a picture of any given experience. 




Since then I am continually amazed by the different techniques and themes that filmmakers artfully employ. I'm not going to lie, it makes me want to run around with a camera, only my efforts would likely turn out the equivalent of a child running around with a disposable camera. Well, at least those who can't do, can watch! 


1 comment:

  1. Lovely! I thought your latest addiction was going to be stationary. Thank you for the fabulous card - I love mail. You know, envelopes, stamps . . . name that movie. I thik your future vacation plans are simply wonderful, and look forward to hearing about all of your adventures. MAYBE someday we will get to have an adventure of our own.

    ReplyDelete